MSR620 Delivers Highest Bandwidth Density Buffer for 100G Networking Line Cards and is Scalable to 400G
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- (BUSINESS WIRE) -- May. 8, 2013 -- MoSys (NASDAQ: MOSY), a leader in semiconductor solutions that enable fast, intelligent data access for network and communications systems, today announced sample availability of its Bandwidth Engine® 2 - Burst device, which delivers the highest bandwidth density and highest access rate of any single-chip solution. In applications such as networking routing or switching line cards with aggregate rates of 100G and beyond, the MoSys® MSR620 device reduces risk of dropped packets in the data path caused by extended distances, oversubscription, mismatches in data rates or real time processing.
As network performance scales up and feature requirements increase to support hundreds of gigabit per second data traffic per line card, architectural improvements are required to ensure throughput performance, quality of service and data integrity. Using sixteen 15 Gigabits per second (Gbps) SerDes lanes, the MSR620 interface operates at 480 Gbps, providing the host with up to 384 Gbps CRC protected, effective data throughput. This represents an unprecedented 80% overall efficiency, well beyond the capability of standard memory subsystems and alternative serial interface solutions. A single MSR620 device can support up to 5 milliseconds of packet buffering for a 100 Gbps interface, smoothing transient peaks and allowing the traffic manager the time necessary to process and prevent lost packets. Alternative architectures often require highly complex and expensive board designs that result in more than twice the board area and power, which is neither available nor economical.
The MSR620 device is the first of MoSys second generation Bandwidth Engine architecture to be released and offers the highest data throughput for high-speed 100G to 400G packet buffer applications. Like its first generation predecessor, the Bandwidth Engine 2 family is designed to meet high reliability, carrier grade network equipment requirements. In addition to this base reliability, the second generation includes provisions for optional use of MoSys' Bit Safe™ Self Test and Self Repair Technology designed to enable extensive in-field test and repair capabilities to further enhance reliability and flexibility.
"We are pleased to announce sample availability of the MSR620 Burst product," said John Monson, VP of Marketing for MoSys. "This device is purpose-built to solve critical bottlenecks in oversubscription, traffic smoothing and fast buffering applications. It delivers critical performance while reducing board space, power and cost versus alternative solutions."
MoSys' first generation Bandwidth Engine ICs have been fully qualified for carrier-grade applications and are available for volume production now. The company is currently accepting sample orders for the MSR620 device; for information about pricing and availability, contact a local MoSys sales representative at http://www.mosys.com/contact.php.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements about the Company, including, without limitation, anticipated benefits and performance expected from our IC products and the Companys future markets and future business prospects. Forward-looking statements are based on certain assumptions and expectations of future events that are subject to risks and uncertainties. Actual results and trends may differ materially from historical results or those projected in any such forward-looking statements depending on a variety of factors. These factors include, but are not limited, to the following:
- achieving additional design wins for Bandwidth Engine ICs;
- commencing volume shipments of Bandwidth Engine ICs;
- our ability to enhance our existing proprietary technologies and develop new technologies;
- achieving necessary acceptance of our IC architecture and interface protocols by potential customers and their suppliers;
- difficulties and delays in the development, production, testing and marketing of our ICs;
- reliance on our manufacturing partners to assist successfully with the fabrication of our ICs;
- availability of quantities of ICs supplied by our manufacturing partners at a competitive cost;
- our lack of recent experience as a fabless semiconductor company making and selling proprietary ICs;
- level of intellectual property protection provided by our patents, the expenses and other consequences of litigation, including intellectual property infringement litigation, to which we may be or may become a party from time to time;
- vigor and growth of markets served by our customers and our operations; and other risks identified in the Companys most recent reports on Form 10-Q and Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as other reports that MoSys files from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission. MoSys undertakes no obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statement for any reason, except as required by law, even as new information becomes available or other events occur in the future.
About MoSys, Inc.
MoSys, Inc. (NASDAQ: MOSY) is an IP-rich fabless semiconductor company that provides high performance solutions for fast, intelligent data access in network and communications systems. Engineered and built for high-reliability carrier and enterprise applications, MoSys' products are breaking bandwidth barriers™ in data processing to allow for faster packet access and analysis, expanded user capacity and new capabilities required by the expanding global infrastructure. MoSys' Bandwidth Engine® family of ICs combines the company's patented 1T-SRAM® high-density, embedded memory and high-speed, 10 Gigabits per second serial interface with its intelligent access technology and a highly efficient GigaChip™ Interface transport protocol to eliminate bottlenecks in high-speed data access. MoSys is headquartered in Santa Clara, California, and more information is available at http://www.mosys.com.
MoSys, 1T-SRAM and Bandwidth Engine are registered trademarks of MoSys, Inc. in the US and/or other countries. Bit Safe, Breaking Bandwidth Barriers, GigaChip and the MoSys logo are trademarks of MoSys, Inc. All other marks mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.
Source: MoSys, Inc.
Kristine Perham, +1-408-418-7670
Beverly Twing, +1-972-239-5119 ext. 126